The 16th Annual Lux Style Awards took place in Karachi last week and just like every year the night was full of celebrities, glamor, and lots of entertainment. We provided you with live updates on our social media platforms letting you know who won, who lost and told you about all the major happenings from the event.
But what about those little details which make up the complete experience and nobody really talks about them. Well worry not, our editor Momin Ali Munshi was there and in this write-up will tell you all the on ground gossip and happenings from arguably the biggest event of the year!
So here is a personalized timeline of what all happened at the coveted Lux Style Awards.
Given I had to cover the event for you readers I wanted to be there on time and since the card mentioned 3:30 pm as high tea, leaving at 3 pm sounded like a good option. So left for the venue and shared my ride with the talented singer Masuma Anwar.
We were there at the venue and adjacent to the area where the red-carpet and the main ceremony would take place was a little marquee of sorts where the hi-tea was just starting. Needless to say, we were amongst the first few to arrive. It’s worth mentioning that Bilal Ashraf was already there. Kudos to this one for being punctual!
By then quite a few celebrities had arrived at the venue and everyone was just socializing, having food and drinking some lemonade to beat the heat. Celebrities present included Armeena Khan, Ahmed Ali Butt, Vasay Chaudhry, Zahid Ahmed and others.
It was time to move the main red carpet area. Now while I don’t have a photo which shows how beautifully it was all organized but trust me it was one of the grandest and most well planned red carpets.
By then the red carpet was almost done and we were asked to go to the main area. We will be doing a separate post with the style file and who wore what so look out for that. Here are a few highlights from the red carpet.
- Amina Sheikh walked with her husband Mohib Mirza and the couple was happily posing for the media. Lots of boomerangs and fun videos were made with these two.
- Sheheryar Munawar made an appearance with his mother and brother. Cute no?
- Lollywood diva Meera seemed to be high on something and was acting all weird on the red carpet. Want proof? Well, check out the shout out she gave to our blog and #Meera on Instagram will provide you more of her crazy antics.
- Patiently waiting to walk his turn was Atif Aslam who then was tired of Meera and her theatrics so decided to just skip the red carpet and move to the main show area.
- Ali Zafar walked with wife Ayesha and debuted his new braid.
- Quite a few other celebrities walked the red carpet but one definitely felt that the star power was missing. There were lots of fashion people on the red carpet but prominent faces from TV/film were missing. We definitely missed Humayun Saeed, Fawad Khan, Fahad Mustafa, Hamza Ali Abbasi, Yasir Hussain, Feroze Khan, Mehwish Hayat, Saba Qamar, Hareem Farooq, Sohai Ali Abro, Iman Ali, Urwa Hocane and Sajal Aly. Moreover, Lollywood veterans like Shaan Shahid, Moammar Rana, Javed Sheikh, Resham, Noor etc were also not there!
The awards started with a funny video featuring Osman Khalid Butt and Faiza Saleem. It had us lol-ing on our seats.
Atif Aslam and the much talked about National Anthem. Goosebumps much? After the powerful performance, Atif was joined on stage by new singers Aima Baig, Mooro and SomewhatSuper.
Atif began his first ever hosting gig which started with him addressing the elephant in the room: the fact that Atif Aslam was hosting an event! Osman Khalid Butt made way on stage and they did a little comedy act which was on point. This was followed by the first set of music awards.
Bilal Ashraf comes on the stage to talk about Janaan. We, the audience are left confused as to what is happening. But apparently, all best film nominees will be given a chance to come on stage and talk about their film (like all that we heard in their promotional campaigns wasn’t enough)! Anyhow Bilal came and ranted about how Janaan is nominated for Best Film whereas Armeena and Bilal have no Best Actor nomination. Ouch!
Osman Khalid Butt is back on stage with another skit. He owns the stage from the word go and remind us why comedy is his forte. He was joined by Faiza Saleem and Canadian boys Shaam Idrees and Shahveer Jaffry. While Faiza brought her A game, the boys gave a performance that was easily forgettable, stick to YouTube videos eh?
The skit soon transformed into a roast session where Mahira Khan (played by a comedian) was at the receiving end of all the burns. From her limited expressions to the ‘age’ factor everything was fair game here. While we were just cringing at the jibes (in a good way *pfft*) out of nowhere came Mahira Khan herself and the epic rap battle took place.
Some more awards were given out but then Ahsan Khan won for the Best Actor TV and gave a powerful speech where he talked about the increasing intolerance and how we need to educate the masses. Loved this one!
Time for the first dance performance! Mawra Hocane comes on stage and shows us why she should never be allowed to dance at an award ceremony. I say that because she was phenomenal at sister Urwa Hocane’s mehndi. Reema Khan soon joined her and made sure everyone knows that she has still got those moves and nazakat. Then Reema and Mawra performed together, obviously not a good idea because Reema completely stole the show.
Atif Aslam comes back and shows off his impersonation skills. The Sajjad Ali one was hilarious!
Some fashion awards were given. Hasnain Lehri won Best Male Model for the second year in a row. He gave a heartfelt speech where he shed a few tears too. Aww!
Imran Abbas comes on stage, sings a song to pay tribute to all the fantastic individuals we lost last year.
A fashion segment, which honestly nobody cared about given the plethora of fashion weeks we have. Interestingly HUM Showcase started the very next day.
Time for the second dance performance. This one features the Teefa In Trouble jodi Ali Zafar and Maya Ali in never before seen avatars. Loved every bit of this performance. Wish it lasted a bit longer.
Time for the film awards. Here is the list of winners. Some interesting tidbits from this section.
- Sheheryar Munawaar commented how the producer of the film had told Sherry boy that he was the lead of the film and now he is winning Best Actor Supporting Role which has him confused. Oh, and he was the producer himself!
- Wardrobe designer for Actor In Law Yasir got on stage the most times given the entire film team was absent and Yasir had to collect all the awards. His speeches were awkward, to say the least.
- Mahira Khan won Best Actress and in her speech said she does not deserve it, we agree!
Atif Aslam comes to stage one last time to pay tribute to late Junaid Jamshed. While we were just getting into the zone and the tears were on the brink of our eyes, we heard an announcement ‘Ladies and Gentlemen thank you for joining us, the show is over!’ #WorstTributeEver
The awards were over and I realized that somewhere between all the live coverage I almost forgot to take a photo of myself. Rushed to the red carpet, saw Maya Ali standing and took a photo with her. My only photo from the LSA!
Some post-award socializing and everyone was ready to call it a night. Not really though, everyone then moved the party to show director HSY’s mansion in Karachi where the after party was just picking up the heat and went on till the wee hours of the morning.
So here’s what all happened at the awards. Hope you enjoyed this post! Stay tuned, we will be doing a fashion post where we will tell you who looked fab and who looked drab!